One of the reasons that I wrote my corporate blogging book was to help the audience leverage blogging for search engine marketing. Optimizing a blog and the content within each post is not as simple as just throwing some keywords into the mix… there are quite a few tips and tricks you can utilize to optimize the post and fully leverage every blog post.
- Page Title – By far, the most important element of your page is the title tag. Learn how to optimize your title tags and you’ll increase the ranking and click-through rate to your blog posts in the search engine result pages (SERPs) significantly. Keep it under 70 characters. Be sure to also include a robust meta description for the page – under 156 characters.
- Post Slug – the URL segment that represents your post is called a post slug and can be edited in most blogging platforms. Changing longer post slugs into short, keyword-centric slugs rather than having long, confusing post slugs will increase your click-through rate in the search engine result pages (SERPs) and make your content easier to share.
- Post Title – While your page title can be optimized for search, your post title in an h1 tag can be a compelling title that draws attention and attracts more clicks. Some blogging platforms make the page title and post title the same. If they do, you don’t have an option. If they don’t, though, you can take advantage of both!
- Sharing – enabling the ability for visitors to share your content will get you far more visitors than leaving it to chance. Each of the social sites has their own social sharing buttons that don’t require multiple steps or logins… make it easy to share your content and visitors will share it.
- Imagery – a picture is worth a thousand words. Providing an image or video in your post feeds the senses and makes your content much more powerful. As your content is shared, images will be shared with it across social sites… choose your images wisely and always insert the alternative text with an optimized description.
- Content – Keep your content as brief as possible to get your point across. Utilize bulleted points, subheadings, bold and italicized text to help people scan the content easier and help search engines understand the key words and phrases you wish to be found for. Learn how to utilize keywords effectively.
- Authorship – Blog posts have authors and Google now displays author information in search results when authorship is enabled. Having an author’s image next to your post in a search result will increase the likelihood that the link will be clicked on! As well, having your author information provides a personal touch to your posts. People want to read posts from people… anonymity doesn’t serve the audience well on blogs.
- Comments – Comments enhance the content on the page with additional relevant content. They also provide an opportunity for your audience to engage with your brand or company. Utilizing a socially integrated commenting system like Disqus will get your content shared more between like networks.
- Call To Action – Now that you have the reader on your blog, what do you want them to do? Would you like them to subscribe? Register for a download? Attend a demonstration of your software? Optimization of your blog post isn’t complete unless you have a path for the reader to engage deeper with your company.
- Topics – Sometimes search engine visitors click through but don’t find what they’re looking for. Having other posts listed that are relevant can provide deeper engagement with the visitor and avoid them bouncing. Have plenty of options for the visitor to stay and engage more!
Here are related articles that may be of interest:
- How to optimize your Landing Pages
- How to utilize Keywords effectively
- How to optimize a page for Local Search
- How to optimize a YouTube Video
- How to optimize your Title Tags